Twenty-seven highly selected women business leaders graduated on May 23 from MOMENTUM, Alabama’s preeminent women’s leadership program. The graduation, hosted by Alabama Power Company, celebrated and honored the accomplishments of the thirteenth MOMENTUM graduation class.
This graduation marks the completion of MOMENTUM’s rigorous nine-month program, which over 300 women have completed. Alumnae now include over 28 women C-suite executives (15 of which are CEOs or CFOs), 9 judges, and over 12 nonprofit CEO’s. MOMENTUM graduates have achieved executive positions in the fields of law, HR, education, technology, medicine, public utilities, banking, construction, manufacturing, insurance, and more. Graduation commencement speaker
Dr. Cameron Vowell, MOMENTUM alumna, philanthropist and civic leader, spoke about “And They Said It Couldn’t Be Done,” focusing on the impact of public/private partnerships in Alabama.
Two highlights included the presentation of 2015-2016 MOMENTUM Legacy Project, a collaborative art project by the graduating class, directed this year by artists Joy Godsey and Rachel Panter. A second artistic highlight was the presentation of a commissioned quilt for MOMENTUM by Gee’s Bend Quilters Collective. The Gee’s Bend quilt was an outcome of MOMENTUM’s special award and recognition of Mary Ann Pettway and China Pettway, representing the Collective during the March Conference.
Barbara Royal, MOMENTUM CEO, said, “It is increasingly clear, that to thrive, Alabama’s government, nonprofit and business organizations need to broaden and strengthen their leadership infrastructure. MOMENTUM works with over 70 organizations to do so, and with this class we add another 27 outstanding women with sharpened skills to support our decision makers to meet their Alabama’s challenges.”
Since 2002, MOMENTUM has worked to promote, train, empower, and network women leaders in Alabama by providing them with the tools, resources, and environment to grow and develop in both their personal and professional spheres of influence. Congratulations to the 2015-2016 MOMENTUM Class Graduates:
· Kristie Barton, Alabama Power Company
· Laura Clarke, BBVA Compass
· Becky Crain, Regions Bank
· Karen Everitt, ProAssurance
· Beth Francis, Brookwood Baptist Health
· Linda Friedman, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
· Alison Grizzle, AL State Department of Education
· Gwen Hall, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of AL
· Rachel Harvey, Brasfield & Gorrie
· Connie Hill, PhD, Girls Inc. of Central Alabama
· Michelle Holmes, Alabama Media Group
· Lisa Imbragulio, JD, Samford University
· Sarah Mitchell, Walter Energy, Inc. (retired)
· Atisthan Roach, Vulcan Materials Company
· Amy Savoie, Protective Life Corporation
· Terri Scarborough, Brookwood Baptist Medical Center
· Susan Sellers, JD, St. Vincent’s Foundation
· Julie Shedd, American Cast Iron Pipe Company;
· Jennifer Skjellum, TechBirmingham
· Farah Sultan, MD, Vitalogy Wellness Center
· Katherine Sweatt, Honda Manufacturing of Alabama
· Kim Tew, Synovous/First Commercial
· Teresa Thornton, Alagasco
· Jenny Wakeford, Children’s of Alabama
· Letitia Watkins, VIVA Health, Inc.
· Tricia Wells, HealthSouth Corporation
· Melissa Wheeler, Luckie & Company